sábado, 13 de diciembre de 2008

Ubuntu ... "I am because we are"

Not long ago, just a few months, I decided to take a singular way: abandon 15 years of having worked with Windows (and all variants except the Vista ... and I do not regret) to move to an unknown world: the world ubuntu .

I admit that initially I had no idea of the true concept ubuntu. Knew or believed that know-ubuntu was a new distribution of Debian GNU / Linux, more directed to personal computers, but already is spreading among servers, and graphical environment which was doing divert attention to Windows users. After reading a bit more about the origins of software I find a company as an initiative of Canonical Ltd.. Founded and funded by the South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth (the company that sold Thawte to VeriSign, four years after build in the garage his home, for 575 million U.S. dollars (U.S. $)) and with funding of 10millones dollars (almost nothing to be distributed free). We are talking about the year 2004. Today it has become a true competitor to Windows, with updates very well planned and proving to be a reliable and stable platform.

Although my comments I am not going to develop some of the technical side I will only say that for about 5 months that "I left the dark side of the Force" I have not re-treading ground Windows .... and I do not have been necessary ...

Ubuntu ... but what is it really? What are the implications and how far they can go? I'm looking at Wikipedia and I find the following definition:

Ubuntu is a South African ethical rule or ideology focused on the loyalty of the people and the relationships between them. The word comes from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu is seen as a traditional African concept.

and I still read:


Mental attitude prevailing among the native Africans who live south of the sahara, stems from the popular saying "umuntu, nigumuntu, nagamuntu" which in Zulu means "a person is a person because of others."

And finally the definition supplied by the Archbishop Desmon Tutú:


"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, supports the other, does not feel threatened when others are capable and are good at something, because they are unsure of himself and he knows that he belongs to a large whole, which is decreasing when other people are humiliated or little, when others are tortured or oppressed. "





This makes us go back to approaches commented earlier: The We versus Me, the strength of an entire face of individuality. Since, as I say, that landed in the ubuntu world I have seen the enormous strength of the community: any problem, and I say "everyone", which you can find at your operations with ubuntu you can resolve it without further in the community who support you and thank you it has been possible to get the product better, enrich ... improve service, get more followers and consolidate the conviction that we are stronger than me ... you may return to the concept of Dyna-K-Net? the Open-Source-Services?

How far can we go with this freedom of movement? How far it can reach "the community"?


The truth ... is that now I am enjoying as ever ... I hope that ubuntu is the exception to the argument of Eduardo Punset in his blog "The unhappiness is the price to pay for being free"




No hay comentarios: